Monday, 21 April 2014

Be Cautious with Easter Chocolate and your Dogs

If your dog gets into the Chocolate Easter Eggs
Treatment – CHOCOLATE

 There is no set toxic dose when it comes to chocolate. Other factors will also need to be figured in: the size of the dog, the health of the dog and the type of chocolate consumed. Different types of chocolate have different levels of caffeine and Theobromine which increases the heart rate. A toxic dose is about 40mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Milk chocolate. 150 mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Semi sweet chocolate, and 400mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Dark chocolate.

So a toxic dose is 100 mgs. of chocolate per 1 kg or (2.2 lbs) of body weight. Since Baker’s chocolate has the highest level of Theobromine a toxic level would be 2 baker squares for a 10lb (4.53 kg) dog. Contact your Veterinarian induce vomiting if ingested less then 1 and 1/2 hours. Some of the signs of chocolate overdose are hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, increased drinking and urinating,
increased heart rate, seizures and possible death.


No comments:

Post a Comment