Trick-or-treat candies If given the chance, a bowl of candies left at the door the temptation for some dogs will be to great and he will help himself. Many of the cellophane wrappers can be dangerous if swallowed. Chocolate is a huge hazard to our dogs.
There is no set toxic dose when it comes to chocolate. Other factors will also need to be figured in: the size of the dog, the health of the dog and the type of chocolate consumed. Different types of chocolate have different levels of caffeine and Theobromine which increases the heart rate. A toxic dose is about 40mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Milk chocolate. 150 mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Semi sweet chocolate, and 400mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Dark chocolate.
So a toxic dose is 100 mgs. of chocolate per 1 kg or (2.2 lbs) of body weight. Since Baker’s chocolate has the highest level of Theobromine a toxic level would be 2 baker squares for a 10lb (4.53 kg) dog. Contact your Veterinarian induce vomiting if ingested less then 2 hours. Some of the signs of chocolate overdose are hyperactivity, vomiting,
diarrhea, increased drinking and urinating, increased heart rate, seizures and possible death.
Jack-o-lanterns can be a huge fire hazard if knocked over by your dog or tails to close to the pumpkin. Be caution when positioning your pumpkins.
Other stresses are people dressing their dogs for Halloween, as cute as it is some dogs don’t like the restrictive feeling and may freak out. If your dog doesn’t mind being put into costumes make sure these costumes never limit mobility or comprise breathing or the ability to pant. Make sure that the costumes don’t obstructed vision dogs need to see what is going on around them in order to stay safe and calm.
BE AWARE! AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND OF CURE