Friday, 30 October 2015

HALLOWEEN keep your dogs safe

Halloween is a fun event for us and our kids but not so much our dogs. So many scary strangers coming to the door yelling things at their owners, what is your dog to think?  It’s best to just keep your dog closed away in another room for the evening. Don’t leave your dog outside too often you hear stories of vicious pranks on people’s pet on Halloween.
Trick-or-treat candies If given the chance, a bowl of candies left at the door the temptation for some dogs will be to great and he will help himself. Many of the cellophane wrappers can be dangerous if swallowed. Chocolate is a huge hazard to our dogs.


There is no set toxic dose when it comes to chocolate. Other factors will also need to be figured in: the size of the dog, the health of the dog and the type of chocolate consumed. Different types of chocolate have different levels of caffeine and Theobromine which increases the heart rate. A toxic dose is about 40mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Milk chocolate. 150 mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Semi sweet chocolate, and 400mgs.of Theobromine per 1 oz of Dark chocolate.



So a toxic dose is 100 mgs. of chocolate per 1 kg or (2.2 lbs) of body weight. Since Baker’s chocolate has the highest level of Theobromine a toxic level would be 2 baker squares for a 10lb (4.53 kg) dog. Contact your Veterinarian induce vomiting if ingested less then 2 hours. Some of the signs of chocolate overdose are hyperactivity, vomiting,


diarrhea, increased drinking and urinating, increased heart rate, seizures and possible death.




Jack-o-lanterns can be a huge fire hazard if knocked over by your dog or tails to close to the pumpkin. Be caution when positioning your pumpkins.


Other stresses are people dressing their dogs for Halloween, as cute as it is some dogs don’t like the restrictive feeling and may freak out. If your dog doesn’t mind being put into costumes make sure these costumes never limit mobility or comprise breathing or the ability to pant. Make sure that the costumes don’t obstructed vision dogs need to see what is going on around them in order to stay safe and calm.


 


BE AWARE! AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND OF CURE

Monday, 26 October 2015

Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Fletcher WildLife Garden


Fletcher Wildlife Garden is a beautiful peaceful area to walk our dogs and absorb the surrounding
beauty.

Lately this habitat has also been a growing  haven for Skunks. It has been suggested that pest control
people have been release skunk in this area instead of releasing them in less populated places.

That been said I am only wanted to let dog owner know that you and your dog may encounter a
skunk so take precautions. KEEP YOUR DOGS ON LEASH for better control.


SKUNK ENCOUNTER

Anyone who has had their dog skunked knows how overpowering this smell is.

 



 

Trying to remove the odor from your dog, and all he touches and rubs on, feels overwhelming and futile. Our sense of smell is far less acute then our pet's and this smell is overbearing and unbearable to us. Just think how your dog must feel?

 

Unfortunately for our pets the most common spot to be sprayed is the face. Flushing your dog’s eye is a start. Often your dog’s eyes will be burning, red and irritated.

 

Next, prepare yourself for the huge challenge of removing the skunk odor.

 

Treatment

 

Most of us have heard of bathing our dogs in tomato juice, not realizing that the juice needs to dry on the dog to help neutralize the odor. Prepare yourself for a bigger chore than you might have expected - for you will to be bathing your dog two, three or even four times to get results. 

 


Even then, you still may smell skunk for it may take time to wear off. Some dogs will still smell of skunk weeks after the encounter: especially if they get there coats wet.
 

Other methods: your veterinarian has products like Skunk off; or, he may be able to give you advice on some home remedies. In my research the following was the most common home remedy mixture:

 (First, always have mineral oil in your first aid kit. A drop of this in your dog’s eyes will protect them from any soap or other products you are using to bath your dog.)

   

   1. Mix 4 cups 3% hydrogen peroxide with 4 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon  

   of dishwashing detergent.

    2. Put Cotton balls in dog’s ear canals so the mixture doesn’t get in his ears.

    3. Wear rubber gloves.

    4. Apply the solution, starting on your dogs head and work backwards. Do not let the

        solution get into your dog’s eyes.

    5. Rub the solution into its coat.

    6. Rinse well.

    7. Repeat

 
 Source:

“Close Encounters of the Wild Kind” by Jeff Grognet DVM, B. Sc (Agr)

 Dogs in Canada , June 2007




PURPLE LEASH WALK PLEASE SUPPORT